SUMMER STUDIO | Finished Knitting My Skinny Scarves (Part 5)

So, here's a recap of what I've done:
So I started this series to document my experience learning how to knit this summer. I learned two basic stitches - the knit stitch and the purl stitch. I decided to make (3) skinny scarves based on the purl stitch for my mom, mom-in-law and myself.

Finishing my scarves


In order to finish my knitting rows, I had to learn to "cast off". Casting off (or binding off) allows you to neatly finish off your last row of stitching so that it doesn't come apart. It is a really easy technique. I found two resources that were helpful. One was the WikiHow website and then WatchKnitting.com website.


Upon casting off each scarf, I decided to finish them off with a single crochet stitching around the edges. Before sending them out, I'll add my new "FabricWorks Studio" label at the bottom. See how it looks on the red scarf. Cute.



I decided to go with a label with a black background and white lettering. I found a great printer located in New York called New York Custom Labels. Check them out HERE. They did gorgeous work.

Here's a recap of the resources that I found helpful:

I found some great resources for learning to knit. I looked particularly for videos that I could understood as an absolutely were from beginners and ones that I could understand as an ABSOLUTE beginner and a left-handed knitter.

WatchKnitting.com - a great library of knitting stitches and videos on YouTube. This site is well organized and presents the stitches in a nice easy going style.

 AllFreeKnitting.com - I like the project of the day on this site in addition to the knitting videos. Also, the projects are appropriate for beginners like me. 

Here's a look at the FIRST scarf in red tweed yarn:



I casted on 25 stitches for the width and made it 50 inches long which is about 132 rows.  It is long enough to wrap around under a winter coat. I did a straight purl stitch so that knitting the scarf would go fast.

Here's the SECOND scarf in cobalt blue "tweed" yarn.



Here's another picture of this scarf spread out. I just love the gradated colors from this yarn.



Here is the THIRD scarf in brown "tweed" yarn:





I love the scarves and think that they came out great!!! I'll definitely make more of these in the near future.





No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for 

WordPress, Blogger...